Friday, May 8, 2009

War Memorial

Arlene, David, and I went to meet our friend Na Tata at the Korean War Memorial. It's an interesting place. It's very pro-American/pro-UN so I got to see a historical view that isn't as visible now as it used to be. It was really interesting.

Arlene, Na Tata and David in front of one of Admiral Yi Sun-shin's famous Turtle boats which helped drive back the Japanese invasions of the 1590's.
Arlene and Na Tata holding the fort.

various cannons

More cannons

Mortars

Various suits of armor. I initially thought the "cotton" armor on the right was to wear under the armor on the left but I think it's actually it's own suit. I would much rather wear the one on the left.


In the UN/Korean war room there are life size figurines representing the soldiers of each of the various countries that sent troops to Korea. Each country gets one. Interestingly enough, the soldier representing the US is black. I'm not sure why this is because in my experience Koreans tend to think "American=white". Perhaps that is changing. Later on we went to visit Youngsan army base and a large number of the soldiers were black so I wonder if that is why.

A Filipino!
Soldiers give candy to children.

David and I on a troop carrier.


The three of us on a captured North Korean motorcycle.

David aims a North Korean artillery piece.

David takes me for a ride.

Why David isn't allowed to drive yet--he can't see over the hood!


Time to get out!

Arlene and David in front of a plane.

No comments: