Sunday, January 18, 2009

Spe Salvi

When I need a break I have been trying to read some of the Papal Encyclicals. I'm on Spe Salvi (saved by hope) right now and in the 38th paragraph came upon this beautiful quote:

Furthermore, the capacity to accept suffering for the sake of goodness, truth and justice is an essential criterion of humanity, because if my own well-being and safety are ultimately more important than truth and justice, then the power of the stronger prevails, then violence and untruth reign supreme. Truth and justice must stand above my comfort and physical well-being, or else my life itself becomes a lie. In the end, even the “yes” to love is a source of suffering, because love always requires expropriations of my “I”, in which I allow myself to be pruned and wounded. Love simply cannot exist without this painful renunciation of myself, for otherwise it becomes pure selfishness and thereby ceases to be love.

Pope Benedict really hit the nail on the head here. This was exactly what I was trying to say at the talk I gave at Oak Valley but as could be expected, he said it so much more eloquently. I just hope I can live this out!

No comments: