Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Bachelor in Korea

Things are going pretty well here in Korea, I'm just looking forward to Arlene and David coming back on Saturday. I've just been working away on my research, nothing interesting at all to report. We had our Fulbright dissertation support group at our apartment on Thursday. Since I had to prepare food our dinner consisted of fried chicken (which I ordered), oranges, bananas, and ice cream. Next week I will present for the Fulbright Forum. So that will keep me busy.

Since Arlene and David are gone I've been eating out a lot. I try to go to Korean restaurants as they are usually pretty cheap and you get a variety of food. For example, yesterday for 4,000 won (about $3.25) I got rice, salted seaweed (tastes better than it sounds), bean sprouts, some sort of green vegetables, kimchi, and a plate of beef with onions and other vegetables. The one thing that is hard though about this is that when I eat alone I can't possibly finish all the dishes which means that all that food gets thrown away. I saw a restaurant at Korea Univeristy where apparently you just choose your own sidedishes. That makes a lot of sense. Sometimes the side dishes change everyday and I feel bad when I'm giving something with shrimp or something else I don't like and don't even touch it.

No comments: