Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Day of Research

Last Friday I had an appointment and had to do some research. I'm going to blog about it to give an idea of what my life as a student is like here in Korea.

I took the Subway to Hyehwa to meet with Professor Kim at the Korean Institute of Advaned Theological Studies. He wanted me to do some translation work. On the way to his office I saw this advertisements in the subway for a new horror movie (School Girl Scary Story 5). I took pictures to send a friend of mine who is a big fan of the series.
After meeting with the professor I went to the Museum of Financial History in hopes I could pick up some good research leads. It didn't work out but there were some interesting things there. For example, here is a picture of an exhibit on special safety deposit boxes for women only!

This exhibit didn't have a caption except for a title that said it was about the IMF crisis. During the economic difficulties Korea faced in the late 90's patriotic Koreans donated gold to the government to help out. Here a little girl is offering some jewelry for the effort.


There was an exhibit on piggy banks of the world. Unfortunately blogger insited on uploading this picture the wrong way and I was not allowed to take flash pictures inside the museum. However, if you look closely behind the squirrels you can see that they hide a terrible secret.



I needed to head over to the Korean Church History Research Foundation to do some research. Before that though I had to get some lunch. I had sweet potato fried chicken cutlet. It was delicious. The sweet potato is part of the breading.

After several fruitful hours of research it was time to go home. On the subway was a live musical performance from some musicians who I guess were from Latin America.

1 comment:

aimee said...

It's amazing how much research you're still able to do at this late date. I feel tempted to take a few more trips out to the provinces in a last-ditch effort but then my body says, "no, no!"