Saturday, October 4, 2008

Research

This last week I was able to find a lot of good information for my research. On Tuesday I went to the An Chunggun Memorial Hall in Namsan park. I took a lot of pictures, picked up some books and had a nice chat with the manager. It looks like a really good place for me to do research. After that I went to the Myongdong Cathedral area and picked up some books. In the Catholic building there was a young woman giving an art exhibition. I picked up some copies of her artwork. It's really cool. Then I went to the Catholic tv channel offices and met a lady there who told me I could order copies of the shows from them. Following that I then went to the Korean Church History Institute. By God's grace I met a very nice woman who speaks excellent English there. She helped me a lot and got me some books and introduced me to the librarian so that I can do research there. The next day she also inroduced me to a professor at Sogang University who is looking at some of the same issues that I am looking at.

On Thursday Father Yo, who is in charge of the Holy Site at Paeron (which is where Hwang Sayong wrote the Silk Letter, where the second Korean priest is buried and is where the first seminary was built--all research interests of mine) invited me there for a visit. It's a one hour subway ride to the bus terminal and then a two hour bus ride. Father Yo was very kind and gave me a lot of books and some actual sized copies of the Silk Letter. We had a very nice talk and I was able to attend mass there. It was neat because it was a kind of Korean style mass--we all sat on the floor, the only other posture we took was kneeling after communion. Father Yo then drove me to the bus station (and bought my ticket!) and I headed home. I learned a lot and was able to find some useful information for my research.

I will try and post pictures of these places in the next few weeks. Right now I'll just say that God has really blessed us here with some great opportunities. Please keep us all in your prayers!

No comments: