Monday, December 24, 2018

Conferences in Korea

I took part in two conferences in Korea in late October and early November. The first was on the Oppert Incident and took place at the Academy of Korean Studies. Dr. Cho Hyeon-beom kindly invited me. I was charged with conducting research on Frederick Jenkins, a South Carolina native who lived in Shanghai and who bankrolled an attempt by a German adventurer and a Catholic priest to force Korea to open to the outside world in 1868 by stealing the bones of the Korean king's grandfather and holding them hostage (I am not making this up). It failed and led to another anti-Catholic persecution.



My colleague Pierre and I having dinner after my arrival. 

 Our restaurant had been in a drama.

 My room at AKS




 The sponsor of our conference, Dr. Cho Hyeon-beom, is on the left


 The tomb that the expedition tried to rob

 Haemi martyr's shrine




 While in Korea I was able to meet with our former friendship family students, Jisoo and Minwook

Our friendship family daughter Sophie


 Dr. Cho Kwang and Youngp'a. She works at an institution dedicated to the spirituality of martyrdom. Dr. Cho was my adviser when I was in Korea. He is now in charge of the National History Institute, a government post that holds a vice-minister rank.
 The audience at the An Chunggun conference.



No comments: