Friday, March 13, 2009

What I do--Graduate Life

The last couple of weeks have been rather busy. I think though they are fairly typical of life in graduate school. Here is what I did over the last week:
Monday: stay home and do research and translate
Tuesday: go to class on historiography taught by my adviser, then go to office and study. after that introduce colleague to adviser. go home, clean up, go to Somerset Palace Hotel to give presentation to Royal Asiatic Society--Korea Branch. After that go and have a beer with people from that meeting, end up sitting next to a Catholic friar who did translations I was interested in. Get home about 10:30 (I usually go to bed around 9!).
Wednesday: get up, talk to mom and dad, do work, go to give talk at Rotary Club, come home, work
Thursday: Go to class taught by adviser (same as Tuesday), meet with colleague to work on translation together, go to office, work in archives. Forget folder in newspaper collection book but by God's grace find it just before library closes.
Friday: Get up and work, in the afternoon go to church history institute to introduce two colleagues, then do research there.

The talks I gave at the Rotary Club and the Royal Asiatic Society-Korea Branch were all based on the Fulbright Forum talk I gave. Representatives from those two organizations attended my talk and invited me to give the same talk. Giving talks is important. For one thing it helps people who have an interest in Korean history and culture to have exposure to it without having to do a lot of research or read a lot of academic texts. It's also good for the speaker. I was able to make some contacts, get more exposure, and polish my public speaking skills.

There is a kind of cycle of work:
1) Do research
2) Make a presentation
3) Publish research

I will present a paper on Hwang Sayong and his Silk Letter at the Korean Church History Institute on the 21st which will hopefully be published later on in their journal.

So things are busy but my work is coming together.



Giving a presentation at the Fulbright Forum

1 comment:

aimee said...

Somehow I think there's a LOT more to it than your lists, like being a husband and father, but it's still a huge load. I think it's great that you were asked to present the same talk; it's a good one!