Saturday, September 6, 2008

Yonsei and Myongdeong

I went to Yonsei (a private Protestant Christian university in Korea) the other day to take care of some banking business and to get my library card (Fulbright researchers are allowed to check books out of Yonsei). While there I was approached by a young Chinese woman who was looking for the building where Korean classes were held. I didn't know but fortunately it was club day (the various clubs have booths and try to recruit new members) and I had just passed the English club so we went there and they helped her out. Here are some pictures of the campus:

A large Protestant Church just outside of Yonsei. I'm not sure if it's connected in any way.
The student union building. I go there often because our bank is there (it literally is called "our bank" in Korean--uri unhaeng)
Here is the library.
After finishing up thing there I hopped on the subway and went to the Myongdong area. I scouted out some underground shopping where Arlene could get some clothes. I then went to Myongdong cathedral to get some books.
They are working on the cathedral so I couldn't get a good shot of it. Here is a statue of Jesus right in front of it though:

Here is a replica of the grotto at Lourdes nearby. French missionaries were very impotant in Korean Catholicism and so you can see lots of Lourdes grottos and statues of Our Lady of Lourdes.

No comments: