Sunday, August 31, 2008

Jogye-sa

On Saturday morning one of my professors emailed me that a number of Buddhists had launched a protest against the government on the 27th. Since it seemed closely related to issues regarding the relationship between religion and the state I went to go have a look. While there I spoke to a volunteer guide who had participtaed in the protests. I need to study it more as the issues are very complicated before I could say anything. For now, here are some of the pictures.


A banner in front of the temple (Jogye-sa, sa means temple and Jogye is the largest Buddhist organization in Korea) listing demands.
Protest banners
The main temple gate. There are paper lanterns that spell "out" in the back (you can see the upside down "u"). This is in reference to the preisdent of Korea, Yi Myongbak)
A float from the protest of a protestor holding a candle (a lot of the protests in Korea are candlelight vigils)
I'm not sure which Buddha this is, but he appears to be a kid. Rice and a bottle of water have been offered to him. I think the rice and water is bought from a gift shop at the temple site and then offered. The rice is then taken away and resold. I think traditionally people donated rice and they wanted to keep the tradition but they modernized it in this way.

No comments: